Studying in the USA FAQ

1. How to you evaluate an American University?

In the United States, there is no central office authorizing the university to operate. Each state regulates education to some extent, but universities have considerable independence. Accreditation, a system in which institutions voluntarily agree to be evaluated by their peers, ensures that these institutions achieve basic levels of quality in their programs, facilities and services.

There are two types of accreditation: regional and professional. Regional accreditation applies to the university as a whole. Professional accreditation exists only in fields of study. There is an inaccurate perception that universities which do not have a professional accreditation are not recognized. Professional accreditation is an option that a university has to register and pay for. A good example is a Business studies program. There are around 4,000 universities in the U.S. and at least 3,000 of them offer a program in business studies. If someone asks for a list of professional accredited business schools only 200 will show up on the list. Universities such as Harvard, Yale, MIT will not appear. Does this mean they are not accredited? Of course not, they have chosen not to have the program professionally accredited, and so do most of the US universities.

Through Global an applicant can be sure that they will only apply to well known and accredited universities in Cyprus.

Please note that, the Ministry of Education in Cyprus takes into account regional accreditation for these purposes and not professional accreditation, which is optional.

2. What are the requirements for studying in the U.S.A?

Admission requirements vary depending on the university. Some institutions are very selective while others accept most applicants. In general, there are 4 factors, which will play a key role in the assessment of an application:

– High school academic record

– Personal statement

– Scores on standardized tests:

– SAT tests

– TOEFL test

– Recommendations/references

Through Global S & C Educational Services an applicant can be assured that we will help them collect and prepare all the requested material before we send it to a university.

3. When and How to Apply ?

As American institutions are tremendously diverse and the education sector is very large, applying to an American university is a more complex and time-consuming process than applying to a university in other countries.

Global S& C Educational Services has all the relevant information on the universities that we represent. We send all applications by courier service, and follow them up with our contacts at the International Office, thereby making sure that we follow the application at every stage – all this is carried out at no cost to the student.

Important to note is that through Global application deadlines are not in December or January of each year as we have special arrangements that allow us to process applications throughout the year.

4. What it will cost?

In the United States, universities are divided into Public and Private Universities. Public Universities are the so-called “State Universities”.

Private institutions usually charge higher tuition fees, however, there are advantages for someone to study in a private university in comparison to a public university. Although, some well-known State Universities have very high academic standards, in general, Private Universities in the U.S.A. are considered to offer a better quality of education. Moreover, Private Universities have smaller faculty to student ratio, with classes not exceeding 30 students. They also have better facilities and most of them are set within campuses.

Average costs (including tuition and living costs) for both private and public institutions can range from $15,000 – $30,000 for an academic year. In addition there is an application cost of $30 – $300 per institution, which is non- refundable.

5. How long does it take to complete a degree?

In America the degree takes four years of full-time study to complete and two years for a master progrtam.

6. Can I work while studying?

Yes in America usually students work part-time while studying. The university itself usually helps in finding employment.

7. If I have only GCEs passed can I study in America?

Yes most universities accept GCEs and evaluate them as additional qualifications and grant extra points for them.

8. Do I need a visa?

All students who are not U.S. citizenship need to obtain a student visa, from the American embassy, having first secured an offer from a USA University.